Saturday, February 19, 2011

Pregunta: Pre-made Deli Sandwich? Si o No? Respuesta: No

Thursday began fairly well. The education sector had been divided up into pairs and we were each assigned 2 to 3 places to visit in the capital Asunción and/or the surrounding area. It was a type of a scavenger hunt designed to help us figure out the bus system and find our way around. My partner and I were assigned to going to Parque Ñu Guaza and a book store. At our first destination, we were to observe who was at the park, what they were doing and the infrastructure of the park itself. We also asked someone at the park who was responsible for the construction and maintenance. From there we caught an extremely crowded bus to the street where we found the bookstore. Despite the fact that we received wrong directions from about 5 people, we made it to the bookstore in one piece. Our mission here was to find out if schools received a discount on textbooks and if the store gave donations to schools as well.

Before we knew it, we arrived at the Peace Corps office (which is about 3 blocks from the U.S. Embassy). When all of the education sector trainees arrived, we split up into small groups again and met with different staff members.
So, let’s get to the entire point of this story. After training the majority of our groups wanted to get ice cream, I, however, wanted to get food. I rallied up some of the others and we walked one block to a grocery store. I bought a sandwich from the deli and a pack of Lays chips. Later that night, I realized that I was feeling kind of funny, but I thought that it was probably due to the fact that we were walking in 100 degree weather all day. I. Was. Wrong.

So apparently Paraguayans don’t each prepared sandwiches from delis because they have the potential of being old. That is what I was told by Mami Paraguay the following day when it was discovered that I had a case of food poisoning. Oh and want to know another plus to yesterday? Oh yea, it was definitely 106 degrees outside and at least 96 degrees in my room where I laid all day trying to force myself not to go to the bathroom again.

All in all, I still wasn’t able to go to training again today, but I am hoping to recover by tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. E - I've finally got caught up on your blog here! Love it girl! I've got your blog address on my blog list. So sorry about the food poisoning. Hope you're doing better now. Hang in there girl, you're doing it! :)

    Your cousin

    ReplyDelete