Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Day After.

Last night I experienced my first official Paraguayan fiesta. After being dropped off by Mami Paraguay’s boyfriend, Hermana 2 and I purchased tickets (20,000 Guaranis= $4.34) and went into the venue which looked like an outside concert hall surrounded by soccer fields. As the techno version of all currently popular songs thumped loudly, the other PC people and I danced around. I made a few observations that I feel are notable.
1.       People as young as 15 can come to these events. Also, I wouldn’t be surprised if there were people younger than 15 seeing as no one is carded.
2.       Some young girls are accompanied by their mothers. These mothers sit in chairs on the side of the dance floor observing. I was informed by Hermana 2 that if someone wants to dance with her daughter, the poor soul must ask the frowning mother for permission. Those mothers looked ready to kill. 
3.       There were no trash cans. When you are done with your drink, you dispose of it by throwing it on the ground.
4.       There was a colorful mini-stage at the side of the large dance floor. I asked Hermana 2 “What is that for?” She responded saying that it was just a part of the venue and didn’t play a role in tonight’s activities. She was wrong seeing as later there was a strip show for all to see on this colorful stage.
After spending 3 hours there, I was worn-out. Unfortunately the PC trainees’ Paraguayan brothers and sisters did not want to leave. Finally we left and began to long trudge home (40 min).
Overall= New cultural experience.

2 comments:

  1. Ellie, I'm so proud of you for taking this leap of faith outside of the box. I'm glad you're blogging, so I can read about your every experience. Good luck! Mary O

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it Ellen! So far I am partly jealous and partly happy to observe from here! :)

    ReplyDelete