Monday, May 16, 2011

Happy 200th Birthday Paraguay.

This year Paraguay (among other countries in South America) is celebrating 200 years of independence from Spain. It is obvious on every street corner. If there is not a flag, someone is wearing a pin of flag. If there is not an event in the plaza, the school is having a performance. Everyone seems to be very excited about this historical moment, and I hope their excitement continues. I believe that it is an ideal time for a Peace Corps volunteer to be in Paraguay. We should all use this renewed pride to spread ideas such as taking care of the environment, being proud of yourself, doing something to better your community/country, leading others to do positive things, etc.
Today I walked in the Bicentenario parade with my school. After practicing for a month, I believe that the students did an excellent job. I was very proud to walk with them.


 






Paulita.





Beginning to walk...(after a 2 hour wait).



My School.



The Plaza de las Armas.

No comments:

Post a Comment